Monday, May 14, 2007

Camping, Moving and surprises






This blog is all about my life lately. I have gone through a great deal of changes recently in my life.

First, I took two trips recently that both were quite enjoyable. Three weekends ago, I took a trip with Janina and a few other teachers to the beach towns of Cata and Chorini. We camped on the beach for two nights and one night in a posada. This was my first time camping on a beach and I walk away with mix reviews. First it is amazing to just sit on a beach all day with a table, beer, waves, waiter and no worries. We just sat around all day long play dominoes, having a few drinks, a few times a day the waiter would come take food orders and drink orders. When you were in the mood, just jump in the Caribbean. At night we had a fire going, sat around and talked with the waves in the back ground which is really nice to fall asleep too. This was the amazing part. The problem is that you have no release from the heat, sand all the time, their was very little wind during the night, sand all through the tent and in everything that you own. Overall I would recommend it but be mentally prepared for the mess that will occur. on the third day we took a water taxi from Cata to Chorini. Both beaches are amazing until you walk to the tree line and you get to see the garbage dump that many people have used through the years. The water is amazing, clear and beautiful. Chorini was more of a beach town and had clearer water with much bigger waves. Here we got a five person room at a local posada which was run by an amazingly friendly older woman whose husband was an artist. Overall this was a great trip.
Second trip was to Caracas which I saw a little of while on the above trip. Caracas has two sides. It is very beautiful in areas and unbelievably poor in other areas. It is hard to see where Chavez's revolution is really helping but I do not know what there before so it is a limited perspective. OUr school softball team played in a tournament against other American schools. We came in second place to a school from Caracas in a close 8-7 game. All of you will be happy to know that I have not lost the ability to get under people's skin.

Now on to my two life changing announcements. One I have accepted a teaching position with a school in Taiwan for the 2007-2008 school year. So Janina and I are moving to Taiwan for probably two years if not longer. I am looking foward to experiencing Asia, the culture, the history and food.

My biggest announcement is that I am going to be a father. We found out that Janina is about 6 weeks pregnant and due approx. January 2008. So the time has finally come for me to grow up and take care of someone other than myself. I am really scared about becoming a father esp. living abroad but I am really looking forward to the challenge and I am really looking forward to holding my baby.

Well that is it for this update. I will add some pics to this blog to give you some ideas of my trips. Take care

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Congrats! It will change your life forever. But it is the most amazing experience of your life. Keep us posted on the progress. Are you going to find out if the baby is a boy or a girl?